Wednesday 23 March 2011

What happened?

I have spent a lot of time cutting deals with myself about work. You know how it is,'if they "forget" my break once more, I am quitting..', 'if basic things aren't done when I come in next, I am quitting..',  'if they call me in one more time on a day off, I am quitting'. They have driven me slightly madder and so now I am quitting. The glamorous life of fast food shall be no more. I am slightly disappointed that I will not come home smelling of a fryer but it is time for bigger and better things. Anyway, I can always roll around in fried foods if I miss that feeling too much. God, I am sick to death of not getting breaks, of staying late, of being paid the minimum of minimum wage. So, if you know of any jobs going that do not involve prostitution or chicken, give me a call.



My brother and I used to play taxi on our bunk beds. I guess it was a double decker taxi or something because one of us would sit on the top occasionally. We would fight over being the driver and write the name and number of our taxi company on the sides. Our bunk bed was wooden. Then we would pretend to pick up fares. Sometimes, we would pick each other up and sometimes we would pretend we were rival taxi companies. We would spend hours and hours playing this game, lost in our imaginary world. Mum would come into our bedroom to see what we were doing and go crazy for drawing on our beds. We had so much fun though.



We used to walk home from school everyday with our Mum. My parents had recently divorced and this was before my step-Dad had arrived on the scene. We would take it in turns to pick which way we would walk home. My brother would call every new way home a "short cut", even if it took longer. Sometimes we would take ages walking home because we were collecting leaves- big ones, small ones, green ones, yellow ones. We didn't do anything with them, just collect them, and let them sit around the house, rotting away until Mum threw them out. We would get so lost in our own worlds, just walking, and smiling. We were always so happy, even when our parents had split up, even when they were fighting, even after they would get angry at the world. We just smiled and laughed, and the whole world was so magical.

What happened?

It has been such a "meh" few days. I just want them to end.

1 comment:

  1. It's life moving on darls. As with the leaves you'd collect, the seasons change, as they did. Being a child is so carefree because we always thought our parents would handle the "tough stuff". Though soon we come to realise that isn't always the case, but that is what friends and family are for. To help carry burdens, even if they cannot always resolve the issues they stem from.

    ReplyDelete